Monday, September 1, 2014

The New Doctor, Peter Capaldi

Mild Spoilers Follow

My wife and I finally got around to watching the first episode of Doctor Who with Peter Capaldi as the Doctor. I was unsure of what to expect, because I had seen so many complaints about him. After watching the episode, however, Capaldi is the first Doctor I've completely liked right off the bat.

I think most people are having a hard time getting past the Doctor being older. They worked to address this issue throughout the episode. Clara especially struggled with losing the younger doctor and meeting the old stranger. After some conversations with old friends and a phone call from the previous Doctor, she decides to stick with him. Hopefully, those who are apprehensive about Capaldi will feel the same as Clara by the end of the episode, even if their Doctor crushes cease to exist for a time.

The Doctor brings a little less energy than Matt Smith, but he makes up for it with a sort of quiet intensity. He retains much of the quirkiness of his predecessors and couples it with more ferocity when things get rough. I really enjoyed that.

This is the first time I've actually been happy with the Doctor right after the regeneration. If you haven't watched it yet, take the time to check it out.

I'll end this short post with my favorite quote from the episode, from a scene where the Doctor is expressing his dissatisfaction with his face.

"Look at these eyebrows! They're attack eyebrows. You could take bottle tops off with these. They’re cross. Crosser than the rest of my face. They’re independently cross! They probably want to cede from the rest of my face and set up their own independent state of eyebrows."

No comments:

Post a Comment